Sunday, January 18, 2009

Thoughts before I see "Che"

Checked out this great documentary on Fidel Castro made by Oliver Stone in '03 called "Comandante!" Somebody posted it on youtube just search "Comandante Fidel Castro Oliver Stone" and it should come up-it's in 12 parts. Anyway, that and the release of Soderbergh's Che this week got me thinking on the man who I'm going to be devoting 4 hours and 18 minutes of my time to this coming saturday. As disgusting and ignorant as the commercialization of Che Guevara is (http://http://photos.mg.co.za/original/0.60352500%201191848988.jpg), and that it goes completely against everything the guy stood for-fought for-cared about-and died for, I can't help but think that it keeps him someway in the public's dialogue. The fact that he is just such a polarizing figure nearly fourty-two years after his death (and what do the newsmakers and the powers-that-be do with polarizing figures? Especially ones that die? SELL THEM BACK TO US!) I think is really interesting. I mean, let's face it I would've never learned about the Sandinistas or our shady dealings abroad if it wasn't for the Clash's Sandinista! and especially the song "Washington Bullets." Or Stephen Biko without Peter Gabriel. Or...the list goes on. And in a way that probably neither he nor his disciples could have possibly realized he has become what he perhaps set out to be...not a man, not so much a glorified leader, but a theory, an idea. And sometimes ideas are just as difficult to pare down and simplify as people.

I could be totally wrong here, but that's what's on my mind.

Hopefully I won't be lazy and set down a proper review of the film.

No comments: